"Two different lives, Shaped to make yours one....... One became your guiding star, The other became your sun...... The first gave you life, And the second taught you how to live it........ The first gave you a need for love, And the second was there to give it." --MOTHER'S BRIDGE

Monday, April 14, 2008

DNA Testing

This is probably the weakest rumor that I have chosen to mention on my blog. It is also a rumor that I hope becomes a reality. I have only read it on one website which is a blog....not at all reliable in and of itself. It states that effective on April 1 all babies/children relinquished to orphanages from their birth parents must submit to a DNA test. The child and parent's DNA must match in order for that child to be available for adoption by anyone from the US. This has been in practice in Guatamala for some time; that is until this country closed to international adoptions due to their extensive corruption of babies selling/stealing. The goal in VN is the same as that which was started in Guatamala. There must be a system in place to keep ruthless people from stealing or buying babies from mothers in order to deliver them to an orphanage director who will pay for young healthy babies for international adoption. Now, why pay for a baby when your orphanage is already full of them? I can only guess that there is a lack of very young very health infants, which is what most adoptive families request. Their application will read "AYAP/ASAP" which stands for "As Young As Possible/As Soon As Possible". So, in a round about way, we could be the source of why such a baby market is needed at any cost. Simply apply the principal of supply and demand and there you have the reason why such things could be going on in VN (and really any country involved in international adoption). This new rule would not apply to babies completely abandoned without any known parent or family. Now, will this apply to orphans relinquished prior to this new rule? I hope not, for I question the accuracy of documentation or the care taken in updated relinquishing parents' current location. If this were to apply to all orphans, there could be countless orphans suddenly labeled unavailable for US adoption. This would be a crime with the orphans being the only victims from a rule set out to protect them. I cannot verify this on any government website or reliable organization who represents orphans or any agencies websites. Within reason, I hope this does become standard practice and that we will soon see this as an official stand taken by the US to protect adoptions.

No comments: