"Two different lives, Shaped to make yours one....... One became your guiding star, The other became your sun...... The first gave you life, And the second taught you how to live it........ The first gave you a need for love, And the second was there to give it." --MOTHER'S BRIDGE

Monday, May 11, 2009

Almost A Year


It was a year ago that we said good bye to our 13 year old Akita, Misha. We had always hoped that she would be here to welcome home our little girl as she had our boys. She loved our kids and I often begged her to stay with us long enough to bring just one more baby home.

When Vietnam closed, we realized that dream would never happen and in the months that followed her health deteriorated with old age. After she was gone, we could still smell her and often could swear that we could hear her coming up the stairs. It was only a few days after she was gone ( I'm sure it was a mourning reaction ) I got on the phone and called AAC. I was determined not to give up. We had to give up Misha and given up on Vietnam but was not going to give up on our little girl who we felt was out there waiting for us. I guess I just don't like being told no. I talked to Kristie and explained that Korea had turned us down about 2 years ago and that Vietnam closed with our dossier and money. I went on to say I wanted to plead to Korea again. She had the idea of sending a doctor's letter with our request. I told her I would get one from our doctor.

I also included my motive to make a request to Korea every 6 months to adopt to a family with a parent in a wheelchair. If not for ourselves, but maybe my persistence would pay off for someone else in the distant future. I had only hoped to bring the topic to the table in Korea so that they would have to discuss it over and over again until it didn't seem like such a foreign concept. Never, ever, ever did I think we would be granted permission to adopt. We had spent months researching countries before Vietnam and all Asian countries basically followed China's lead on requirements. Their requirements became more strict about 3 months after our information meeting and application with China. Thus, trickling down to all Asian countries taking with it our hopes of adopting. Except, Vietnam who had reopened in Jan that year and they didn't have strict guidelines.....which also lead to their corruption and eventual closure. Anyway.......

The loss of our beloved Misha which gave me reason to call AAC.....the letter from our doctor which went to Korea.....all happened a year ago this week.

No comments: