I got to meet Aspen this morning at 10:00. The meeting was amazing...went beyond any of my expectations. She was warm and engaging and sweet and open to me being with her and touching her. I first started out on the floor and we played with legos and a Winnie the Pooh figure. She took a potty break since she is completely potty trained and wearing big girl underwear. Then she went to foster mom for a snack and foster mom tried to get her to let me feed her some yogurt but as a 2 year old she wanted to do it herself. After her snack, she sat with me on the couch and we watched a video together on my phone. When she was told to give me back the phone, she replied ( in Korean ) "No it's Aspen's phone." Love her!!!! We played together with the little play kitchen set and she pretended to wash her hands by first pushing up her sleeves and then placed her hands under the fake faucet. She was confused that water wouldn't come out. We ate some candy together and she picked up all the trash and put it away. When it was time to go ( which was about an hour later ), they told her to get her shoes which she can put on herself. She loaded up her doll stroller and off she went in her sunglasses and hat.
I never imagined that she would be so comfortable with me. I was going to be just content to be in the same room with her but I got so much more. It was absolutely amazing!!! At the end of the visit and before the shoes, she came over and placed her hands on my checks.-- Another true miracle was that since I've been here I have not had phone service. I was still holding the phone from watching the video and it rang. The boys were calling me. They got to talk to her and they could hear her talking back to them. Shane sang her "Twinkle, twinkle little star". They all took turns saying something to her. Daddy got to talk to her and hear her too. It was simply God's will to bring all the pieces together for us to share in this moment together as a family even if it was by phone.
Friday, we have been invited to lunch at the foster families home. We will meet at the agency and go over with our social worker. We are then going for a picnic with them on Monday. Our social worker says that Aspen does not like to be at Eastern and they want us to interact where she'll be more comfortable. I will down load the pictures from today and will post as soon as I can.
10 comments:
Oh Karen - what a DREAM come true! Aspen sounds like such a little angel. What a cutie! So glad that the boys and Steve were able to share the moment with you. Great point of it being God's will. Helps me with the wait! So very happy for you!
One word: Beautiful.
This makes the wait all worth it, doesn't it? Sooo happy for you. Great day, great story, just GREAT! Enjoy it. :)
To my lovebug: That picture is worth a thousand words - it is priceless. I can feel your excitement here on the other side of the earth. She is so adorable -I knew she would feel your love. I know you were experiencing many different emotions for that first meeting; glad it went so well. You waited a long, long time for this day. Everyone has been right by your side cheering you on - YOU MADE IT TO THE TOP! Love you, Mom
She is so cute! I hope your next meeting is just as amazing. Enjoy it!
What a wonderful experience and blessing that you had the moment with your boys, husband and Aspen on the phone...unbelievable! She looks so sweet and I love that she was comfortable with you. I'm happy they are willing to arrange things to make things easier on Aspen...I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip. I'll continue to keep you all in my prayers!
Simply wonderful!
That picture is priceless...
Wow!!!
Amazing is the perfect word to describe it. God is good, even when we haven't understood the long wait it all comes together in moments like you experienced. That picture makes my heart leap! I'm so glad your finally there and enjoying your time.
Amazing. This post leaves me without words. I am so happy for you!
wow...what a beautiful post! My eyes are watering....
Post a Comment