"Two different lives, Shaped to make yours one....... One became your guiding star, The other became your sun...... The first gave you life, And the second taught you how to live it........ The first gave you a need for love, And the second was there to give it." --MOTHER'S BRIDGE

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

First Dr's Appt and Sleeping

I know it's hard to believe that we are just getting Aspen to the Dr's for a physical. Thankfully, our social worker agreed that there was no huge hurry since she was examined so frequently in S Korea. I'm glad that her bond with me is so strong and that we waited for she needed a lot of comforting. She cried and cried. She was so afraid. Her fear and tears and gripping onto me reminded me of taking her away in the van when she left Seoul. It wasn't as intense, but this little one isn't afraid of anything (truly the lack of fear is going to lead us into an ER visit or two). I haven't seen fear on her face since we've been home and seeing it in her little face today was heart breaking. Our pediatrician was comfortable with the shots record and was impressed that she had had two flu vaccines last winter. She is not due for any vaccinations. Since she is 2 and had two flu vaccines last year, she was eligible for the nasal flu vaccine. Thank goodness, we were able to leave the Dr with no shots. In the near future, she will need to have an epidermal cyst removed from her ear but there's no hurry to do it. Dr said that they really have to "dig in there" (yeah...those were the words he used) to get it removed and that he wouldn't recommend putting her through that right now. She is in the 50% for height and 25% for weight and is right on schedule for development.

Now onto the sleeping issues. I have not wanted to share our latest plan on our sleeping arrangement for fear that once again, this plan would too fail. But I'm happy to say that it has been about a month that little miss has been sleeping in her own bed...not her own room but her own bed. We placed her toddler bed right next to ours. I rock her until she's sleepy and then put her in her bed while she's still awake. She protests with whining and fake ailments to get me to pick her up but she soon realized that this was it. I lay down and say "Mommy's bed and that's Aspen's bed" then I close my eyes like I'm going to sleep. The whining time has dramatically decreased and she sleeps all night in her bed. Sometimes, I need to reach down into her bed and pat her back to sleep but one or two pats and she's back to sleep. nI looked back at our paperwork and the foster parents, even back then, described her as waking up multiple times during the night to check for foster parents.... same here. We got our bed back and she's not alone. It has been wonderful.

3 comments:

Lucky Mama said...

I'm so glad you found something that works for sleep. I bet your attachment will progress much more quickly with a well rested mommy and baby.

Brittany said...

I'm glad you have found something that for now is working. There must be a weird vibe at the dr's office because Samara was really scared too. It took me by surprise. Can't wait to see you again!

Michelle said...

Congrats on getting your bed back! Great job, I know first hand that bedtime is not easy. Sorry to hear that the doctor visit was tough. Maybe she had some bad experiences in Seoul? Otherwise, she sounds/looks like she's doing really well. Such a lovely little girl. :)