"Two different lives, Shaped to make yours one....... One became your guiding star, The other became your sun...... The first gave you life, And the second taught you how to live it........ The first gave you a need for love, And the second was there to give it." --MOTHER'S BRIDGE

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Some Things Are Better Than They Seem...Some Worse

We got a phone call from Laural, our new social worker, for a new home study. I can't believe that at this stage of the game that I'm even talking about our home study. Anyway, she sounds awesome and I totally get the warm fuzzies from talking to her. That was not there with our second social worker and we so desired to have that again since that was our our experience with our first social worker. Yes, 3 social workers... 6 home visits...2 home studies....3 updates...baby = priceless. Our last (?) home visit will be Nov 7 and she will attempt a speedy turn around for our new home study in the new format.

I also spoke with AAC who is optimistic that this delay in process on our end will be absorbed into the extra time expected on the Korean end. It could possibly still result in the same time line that we were hoping for which is a March homecoming. But, we still need to be prepared for a delay with all this new paperwork which also includes 1)State fingerprints 2) Personal References and 3) child abuse background check done by the state. With this added information, could come unforeseeable hang ups.

Something new, according to the State of Colorado, Aspen will be considered a "special needs" child due to her age at home coming. This results in more parent education classes focused on special needs. Seriously!!!!!?????? Over the last few hours in trying to digest all this, I have relabeled myself as not pessimistic but rather realistic. I have learned from experience that adoption is NOT predictable, NOT easy and anything at anytime could go wrong...even if in the history of adoption it has never happened....it could happen to you. I didn't develop this through some negative energy or general negativity. I have learned this through experiencing it first hand. I'm not pessimistic...I'm prepared! I am not knocked down a peg from these bumps in the road....I don't curl up in a ball....I just roll with it. So, we're rolling with it....we're still on the road to our daughter.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

You will LOVE her! ;) Definitely someone who will remain a 'friend' after this process is over!

Tracie said...

Well... you will be busy while you wait! That's the bright side...???

Don't forget that our stateside stuff took forever, and we're still waiting on the Korean side. AAC is probably right that it will all work out without delays.

Jayme said...

Oh Karen, I am SO sorry you have to go through the HS process AGAIN. At this point I'm not convinced that ours is done and ready for state approval. Who knows what kind of hang-up's we'll have as well. I'm with you, being prepared and realistic is about the best scenario.

Lucky Mama said...

Hoping that this doesn't slow down sweet Aspen's homecoming!