"Two different lives, Shaped to make yours one....... One became your guiding star, The other became your sun...... The first gave you life, And the second taught you how to live it........ The first gave you a need for love, And the second was there to give it." --MOTHER'S BRIDGE

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

March to May :(

With all the backlog of EP's in Korea, it's impossible for anyone to predict when we'll go to Korea. In the past, we could have gauged from others before us that we were only weeks from traveling. However, those days are gone. Two families ahead of us had to wait 8 months from referral to travel call. We were told 6 months when we signed in September. So, it can happen anytime from March to May of this year from these two timelines.

At this point, I would rather have a definite, rock solid date in May than to live in this state of limbo. We are unable to make any plans and it is not easy for my work to anticipate my leave. When you're pregnant, you don't have a due date that spans 90 days. Spring break plans??? can't make them, Easter, Mother's Day......it puts a hold on everyone and everything.

It's also sad for the babies. If this 8 month wait sticks, these babies will be over a year before they are united with their forever families. Families will now have to consider that they will be bringing home a toddler and not a baby. It also overloads the Korean foster system with foster families having to take in more children to compensate for more children in the system due to the inability to move the paperwork at the previous pace. How will this take its toll on foster families having more than one child and having to say goodbye to a child that they will have for over a year? Then, there is the financial responsibilities and legalistics of caring for these children longer than ever before. There is going to be such a ripple effect of this new delay. Let's hope that this is temporary for in the end it's supposed to be about what's best for the children.

3 comments:

Lucky Mama said...

This EP situation stinks. I'm so sorry!

Jayme said...

I just don't know why it is taking SO LONG to process EP's now. I agree with you and Luck Mama, it STINKS!

Hopefully we will hear SOMETHING within the next couple of weeks. I would say "next couple of days" but with Lunar New Year approaching, the reality of that is pretty slim.

The first batch was granted fairly quickly, what in the world is taking so long? I'm with ya, can't make ANY plans at this point. I would LOVE to buy an Easter dress, but I know that I will just have to return it. Why bother? We'll get through this, eventually.

Tracie said...

Living in limbo is so hard. I really thought things would zip along once the new year hit, but I've been surprised to see that... well... things are NOT zipping along, after all.

I am waiting along with all of you, my friends!