"Two different lives, Shaped to make yours one....... One became your guiding star, The other became your sun...... The first gave you life, And the second taught you how to live it........ The first gave you a need for love, And the second was there to give it." --MOTHER'S BRIDGE

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Getting Better Every Day

You can easily prepare yourself for the emotional part of bringing home a new baby. But nothing can condition you for the physical part. Lots of holding and up and down and very little sleep. She has had her days and night mixed up. At night, she wants to wander from room to room and she wants to eat and go potty and just doesn't seem to know what to do with herself and this can go on for hours. She cries out for her foster dad.

The first night home she took her "nap" from 11pm to 1am and didn't go to bed until 7am and slept until 2pm. The second night she took a midnight night but did go to sleep about 5am-2pm. The third night I decided to attempt a cold turkey of keep her up in the morning since the boys would be here. She slept until 8:30 in the morning which only gave her about 3 hours of sleep. She was pretty emotional during that cold turkey day but very busy with the boys in between being held. She took a nap at 1pm and then feel asleep at 8:30 but unfortunately not for the night. It lasted only a half an hour. She woke up and played and then got emotional like she has been during the night.

Last night, I gave into the house roaming for about 2 hours and then just stayed with her in our room and let her cry and beg to go. I knew that we had done everything and that she didn't need anything. It was so difficult but I felt like she just needed to grieve and not wander and wander. It proved to work. She feel asleep about 1:30 and slept until 7:15. She has been in a wonderful mood this morning!! I could even walk out of the room for a minute to fill my coffee cup without her fussing....but only for a minute. She has been getting off my lap and playing and then returns to sit with me for awhile and then gets back down. So, I'm just sitting to be here when she needs a little reassurance. It's getting better and better everyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To my lovebug: It is so sad to hear of her grief. This is very hard on you, but you understand, she does not. Your LOVE will conquer all. Some day this part will just be a memory, and the joy will surpass everything. Keep remembering all the sleepless nights you encountered with your boys when they were little - JUST A MEMORY NOW.
Love you, Mom

Tracie said...

I'm so glad things continue to go well. We never had the day/night mixup with our little one, so I don't have any advice... but it sounds like you are doing just great!!!

Good job, Mama! I am so very happy for you.